Microbiology with Diseases by Body System (3rd Edition)
The threat of bird flu and other emerging diseases; the progress of cutting-edge research into microbial genetics; the challenge of increasingly drug-resistant pathogens; the continual discovery of microorganisms previously unknown—these are just a few examples of why the study of microbiology has never been more exciting, or more important. Welcome!
I have taught microbiology to undergraduates for over 20 years and witnessed firsthand how students struggle with the same topics and concepts year after year. Students invariably come to class with different levels of preparation—while some have strong science backgrounds, others lack a foundation in chemistry and/or biology, making it a challenge to decide how to gear the course. In creating this textbook, my goal was to write a text that explains complex topics— especially metabolism, genetics, and immunology—in a way that beginning students can understand, while at the same time presenting a thorough and accurate overview of microbiology. I also wished to highlight the many positive effects of microorganisms on our lives, along with the medically important microorganisms that cause disease.
NEW TO THIS EDITION
In approaching the third edition, my goal was to build upon the strengths and success of the previous edition by updating it with the latest scientific and educational research and data available and by incorporating the many helpful suggestions I have received from colleagues and students alike. The result is, once again, a collaborative effort of educators, students, editors, and top scientific illustrators, and a textbook that continues to improve upon conventional explanations and illustrations in substantive and effective ways. In this new edition:
• NEW Engaging, story-based Clinical Cases hook students at the beginning of the chapter and keep them curious until the Clinical Case Follow-Up at the end of the chapter. Each chapteropening Clinical Case relates a compelling patient dilemma. The Clinical Case Follow-Up reveals the source of the patient illness and asks students to apply concepts covered in the chapter.
• NEW Emerging Diseases boxes reflect this edition’s emphasis on cutting-edge clinical content. Written in an engaging narrative voice that focuses on a patient’s experience, these boxes describe diseases such as Hantavirus pulmonary syndrome, babesiosis, and MRSA (see p. xxxvi for a full list).
• NEW Concept Mapping activity in the end-of chapter sections provide students with hands-on practice for organizing the information they have learned, helping them to better understand the connections between concepts.
• IMPROVED Lab equipment illustrations feature increased dimensionality and realism to help students get prepared for their lab course. Glassware, such as test tubes, flasks, and Petri plates, look more authentic, allowing students to make a stronger connection between what they learn in their textbook and the experiments they perform in the lab.
• Immunology chapters (Chapters 15–18) reflect the most current understanding of this rapidly evolving field. Immunology is also woven into student and instructor media through dynamic MicroFlix that bring immunology to life in 3-D animations. The material in these chapters is continually reviewed in depth by immunology specialists.
• Chapter 3 (Cell Structure and Function) has been reorganized to follow the latest taxonomic research. The discussion deemphasizes the term prokaryote and emphasizes the three domains of living organisms. The newly separate section on the Archaea can be covered or easily skipped over, depending on instructor preference.
• MasteringMicrobiology (www.masteringmicrobiology.com) provides unprecedented, cutting-edge assessment resources for instructors as well as self-study tools for several text features, including “Emerging Diseases” boxes and “Concept Mapping” exercises.
The following section provides a detailed outline of this edition’s chapter-by-chapter revisions followed by a visual walkthrough of its main themes and features.
|Download Ebook||Read Now||File Type||Upload Date|
|February 5, 2017|
Do you like this book? Please share with your friends, let's read it !! :)How to Read and Open File Type for PC ?