Microbiology: An Introduction (12th Edition)
Since the publication of the first edition nearly 30 years ago, well over 1 million students have used Microbiology: An Introduction at colleges and universities around the world, making it the leading textbook for non-majors microbiology. The twelfth edition continues to be a comprehensive beginning text, assuming no previous study of biology or chemistry. The text is appropriate for students in a wide variety of programs, including the allied health sciences, biological sciences environmental science, animal science, forestry, agriculture, home economics, and the liberal arts.
The twelfth edition has retained the features that have made this book so popular:
● An appropriate balance between microbiological fundamentals and applications, and between medical applications and other applied areas of microbiology. Basic microbiological principles are given greater emphasis, and health-related applications are featured.
● Straightforward presentation of complex topics. Each section of the text is written with the student in mind.
● Clear, accurate, and pedagogically effective illustrations and photos. Step-by-step diagrams that closely coordinate with narrative descriptions aid student comprehension of concepts.
● Flexible organization. We have organized the book in what we think is a useful fashion while recognizing that the material might be effectively presented in other sequences. For instructors who wish to use a different order, we have made each chapter as independent as possible and have included numerous cross-references. The Instructor’s Guide provides detailed guidelines for organizing the material in several other ways.
New to the Twelfth Edition
The twelfth edition focuses on big-picture concepts and themes in microbiology, encouraging students to visualize and synthesize more difficult topics such as microbial metabolism, immunology, and microbial genetics.
The twelfth edition meets all students at their respective levels of skill and understanding while addressing the biggest challenges that instructors face. Updates to the twelfth edition enhance the book’s consistent pedagogy and clear explanations. Some of the highlights follow.
● Cutting-edge media integration. MasteringMicrobiology (www.masteringmicrobiology.com) provides unprecedented, cutting-edge assessment resources for instructors as well as self-study tools for students. Big Picture Coaching Activities are paired with the book’s new Big Picture: Tough Topics and Big Picture: Disease features; Interactive Microbiology is a dynamic suite of interactive tutorials and animations that teach key concepts in microbiology; and MicroBoosters are brief video tutorials that cover key concepts that some students need to review or re-learn.
● Big Picture “tough topic” features. These two-page spreads focus on the most challenging topics for students to master: metabolism (Chapter 5), genetics (Chapter 8), and immunology (Chapter 16). Each spread breaks down these important concepts into manageable steps and gives students a clear learning framework for the related chapters. Each includes a quick-reference (QR) code that allows students to link to related MicroFlix videos with their smartphones.
● Big Picture Disease features. These two-page spreads appear within each organ system disease chapter (Chapters 21–26) as well as Chapter 19 (Disorders of the Immune System). Each spread focuses on a particular disease and applies it to a related real-world challenge, many dealing with public health issues.
● Reworked complement section in Chapter 16 (Innate Immunity: Nonspecific Defenses of the Host). New art and more straightforward discussions make this challenging and critical material easier for students to understand and retain.
● In the Clinic. This new feature, appearing at the start of every chapter, includes critical thinking questions that encourage students to think as health care professionals would in various clinical scenarios and spark student interest in the forthcoming chapter content.
● ASM guidelines. The American Society of Microbiology has released six underlying concepts and 22 related topics to provide a framework for key microbiological topics deemed to be of lasting importance beyond the classroom. The twelfth edition explains the themes and competencies at the beginning of the book and incorporates callouts when chapter content matches one of these 22 topics. Doing so addresses two key challenges: it helps students and instructors focus on the enduring principles of the course, and it provides another pedagogical tool for instructors to assess students’ understanding and encourage critical thinking.
|Download Ebook||Read Now||File Type||Upload Date|
|December 8, 2016|
Do you like this book? Please share with your friends, let's read it !! :)How to Read and Open File Type for PC ?