Fundamentals of Biochemistry: Life at the Molecular Level 5th Edition
Biochemistry is no longer a specialty subject but is part of the core of knowledge for modern biologists and chemists. In addition, familiarity with biochemical principles has become an increasingly valuable component of medical education. In revising this textbook, we asked, “Can we provide students with a solid foundation in biochemistry, along with the problem-solving skills to use what they know? We concluded that it is more important than ever to meet the expectations of a standard biochemistry curriculum, to connect biological chemistry to its chemical roots, and to explore the ways that biochemistry can explain human health and disease. We also wanted to provide students with opportunities to develop the practical skills that they will need to meet the scientiﬁc and clinical challenges of the future. This revised version of Fundamentals of Biochemistry continues to focus on basic principles while taking advantage of new tools for fostering student understanding. Because we believe that students learn through constant questioning, this edition features expanded problem sets, additional questions within the text, and extensive online resources for assessment. As in previous editions, we have strived to provide our students with a textbook that is complete, clearly written, and relevant.
New for the Fifth Edition
The ﬁfth edition of Fundamentals of Biochemistry includes signiﬁcant changes and updates to the contents. In recognition of the tremendous advances in biochemistry, we have added new information about prion diseases, trans fats, membrane transporters, signal transduction pathways, mitochondrial respiratory complexes, photosynthesis, nitrogen ﬁxation, nucleotide synthesis, chromatin structure, and the machinery of DNA replication, transcription, and protein synthesis. New experimental approaches for studying complex systems are introduced, including next generation DNA sequencing techniques, cryo-electron microscopy, metabolomics, genome editing with the CRISPR–Cas9 system, and the role of noncoding RNAs in gene regulation. Notes on a variety of human diseases and pharmacological eﬀectors have been expanded to reﬂect recent research ﬁndings.
As in the previous four editions of Fundamentals of Biochemistry, we have given signiﬁcant thought to the pedagogy within the text and have concentrated on ﬁne-tuning and adding new elements to promote student learning. Pedagogical enhancements in this ﬁfth edition include the following:
• Gateway Concepts. Short statements placed in the margin to summa-rize some of the general concepts that underpin modern biochemistry, such as Evolution, Macromolecular Structure/Function, Matter/Energy Transformation, and Homeostasis. These reminders help students develop a richer understanding as they place new information in the context of what they have encountered in other coursework.
• Sample Calculation Videos within WileyPLUS Learning Space. Students come to biochemistry with diﬀerent levels of math skills. These embedded videos, created by Charlotte Pratt, walk students through the Sample Calculations provided for key equations throughout the text.
• Animated Process Diagrams in WileyPLUS Learning Space. The many Process Diagrams in the text have each been broken down into discrete steps that students can navigate at their desired pace.
• Brief Bioinformatics Exercises in WileyPLUS Learning Space.
A series of 74 short, assessable, and content-speciﬁc bioinformat-ics projects (at least two per chapter) by Rakesh Mogul, Cal Poly Pomona. They introduce students to the rich variety of biochemical information available over the Internet and show them how to mine this information, thereby illuminating the connections between theory and applied biochemistry and stimulating student interest and proﬁciency in the subject.
• Focus on evolution. An evolutionary tree icon marks passages in the text that illuminate examples of evolution at the biochemical level.
• Reorganized and Expanded Problem Sets. End-of-chapter problems are now divided into two categories so that students and instructors can better assess lower- and higher-order engagement: Exercises allow students to check their basic understanding of concepts and apply them in straightforward problem solving. Challenge Questions require more advanced skills and/or the ability to make connections between topics. The ﬁfth edition contains nearly 1000 problems, an increase of 26% over the previous edition. Most of the problems are arranged as successive pairs that address the same or related topics. Complete solutions to the odd-numbered problems are included in an appendix for quick feedback. (www.wiley.com/college/voet). Complete solutions to both odd- and even-numbered problems are available in the Student Companion to Accompany Fundamentals of Biochemistry, Fifth Edition.
Students’ ability to understand and interpret biochemical diagrams, illustrations, and processes plays a signiﬁcant role in their understanding both the big picture and details of biochemistry. In addition to designing new illustrations and redesigning existing ﬁgures to enhance clarity, we have continued to address the needs of visual learners by usingseveral unique features to help students use the visuals in concert with the text:
• Figure Questions. To further underscore the importance of students’ ability to interpret various images and data, we have added questions at the ends of ﬁgure captions that encourage students to more fully engage the material and test their understanding of the process being illustrated.
• Molecular Graphics. Numerous ﬁgures have been replaced with state-of-the-art molecular graphics. The new ﬁgures are more detailed, clearer, and easier to interpret, and in many cases, reﬂect recent reﬁnements in molecular visualization technology that have led to higher-resolution macromolecular models or have revealed new mechanistic features.
• Media Assets. WileyPLUS Learning Space plays a key role in students’ ability to understand and manipulate structural images. Guided Explorations, Animated Figures, and Animated Process Diagrams employ extensive animations and three-dimensional structures so that students can interact with the materials at their own pace, making them ideal for independent study.
|Download Ebook||Read Now||File Type||Upload Date|
|Download Now here||Read Now
|February 11, 2020|
Do you like this book? Please share with your friends, let's read it !! :)
How to Read and Open File Type for PC ?