Campbell Biology in Focus (2nd Edition)
The snow leopard (Panthera uncia) that peers intently from the cover of this book has a suite of evolutionary adaptations that enable it to spot, track, and ambush its prey. The snow leopard’s keen eye is a metaphor for our goal in writing this text: to focus with high intensity on the core concepts that biology majors need to master in the introductory biology course.
The current explosion of biological information, while exhilarating in its scope, poses a significant challenge— how best to teach a subject that is constantly expanding its boundaries. In particular, instructors have become increasingly concerned that their students are overwhelmed by a growing volume of detail and are losing sight of the big ideas in biology. In response to this challenge, various groups of biologists have initiated efforts to refine and in some cases redesign the introductory biology course. In particular, the report Vision and Change in Undergraduate Biology Education: A Call to Action* advocates focusing course material and instruction on key ideas while transforming the classroom through active learning and scientific inquiry. Many instructors have embraced such approaches and have changed how they teach. Cutting back on the amount of detail they present, they focus on core biological concepts, explore select examples, and engage in a rich variety of active learning exercises.
We were inspired by these ongoing changes in biology education to write the first edition of CAMPBELL BIOLOGY IN FOCUS, a new, shorter textbook that was received with widespread excitement by instructors. Guided by their feedback, we honed the Second Edition so that it does an even better job of helping students explore the key questions, approaches, and ideas of modern biology.
* Copyright 2011 American Association for the Advancement of Science. See also Vision and Change in Undergraduate Biology Education: Chronicling Change, Inspiring the Future, copyright 2015 American Association for the Advancement of Science. For more information, see www.visionandchange.org
New to This Edition
Here we briefly describe the new features that we have developed for the Second Edition, but we invite you to explore pages xii–xxvi for more information and examples.
New in the Text
– The impact of genomics across biology is explored throughout the Second Edition with examples that reveal how our ability to rapidly sequence DNA and proteins on a massive scale is transforming all areas of biology, from molecular and cell biology to phylogenetics, physiology, and ecology. Illustrative examples are distributed throughout the text.
– The Second Edition provides increased coverage of the urgent issue of global climate change. Starting with a new figure (Figure 1.11) and discussion in Chapter 1 and concluding with significantly expanded material on causes and effects of climate change in Chapter 43, including a new Make Connections Figure (Figure 43.28), the text explores the impact of climate change at all levels of the biological hierarchy.
– Ten Make Connections Figures pull together content from different chapters to assemble a visual representation of “big-picture” relationships. By reinforcing fundamental conceptual connections throughout biology, these figures help overcome students’ tendencies to compartmentalize information.
– Interpret the Data Questions throughout the text engage students in scientific inquiry by asking them to analyze data presented in a graph, figure, or table. The Interpret the Data Questions can be assigned and automatically graded in MasteringBiology.®
– Synthesize Your Knowledge Questions at the end of each chapter ask students to synthesize the material in the chapter and demonstrate their big-picture understanding. A striking, thought-provoking photograph leads to a question that helps students realize that what they have learned in the chapter connects to their world and provides understanding and insight into natural phenomena.
– Scannable QR codes and URLs at the end of every chapter give students quick access to Vocabulary Self-Quizzes and Practice Tests that students can use on a smartphone, tablet, or computer.
– Detailed information about the organization of the text and new content in the Second Edition is provided on pages vi–ix, following this Preface.
|Download Ebook||Read Now||File Type||Upload Date|
|August 25, 2018|
Do you like this book? Please share with your friends, let's read it !! :)How to Read and Open File Type for PC ?